Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMOs)

Planning Permission

Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMOs) occupy a complex area of planning and housing law and proposals are often controversial with councils and neighbours alike.  In many cases change of use from a house to a small-scale HMO (up to 6 persons) is permitted development (PD).  Only the Local Planning Authority (LPA) can confirm in each case. Larger conversions for 7 persons and above) all require planning permission (PP). Specialist reports as well as plans are often required.  HMOs also need to meet housing standards and be licensed in most cases.

Studio Charrette can advise on all stages of the development process and we will compile all necessary documents, prepare your application, submit to the planning department of your local council, deal with the planning case officer and answer any queries as we manage your case to LPA decision.

Planning Cost Calculator

  • Immediate estimate for planning your project
  • Accurate quote emailed within the hour
  • Planning appraisal report emailed to you the same day
  • Consultation call with a Planning Consultant within 24 hours
Get FREE estimate